Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In [some] Nutshell[s]

Has anyone on the North American continent not had the stomach flu in the last two weeks? When Lydia started throwing up exactly a day and a half after our visit to the Mall of America, I kicked myself long and hard for thinking it was a wonderful idea to let the kids play at the Lego stations. I soon found out that every family I know has had it run through their house. Shut-in though I may normally be, I don't think this one could've been avoided. At least I can stop imagining my children innocently playing with hot-viral Duplos.

Stomach bugs aside, we had an exciting Christmas season. Just before Christmas, one of my close friends got engaged! Then, on New Year's Day, my sister Kate got engaged! (And speaking of hot viruses, my brother-in-law-to-be's brother works at the CDC! I'd clean stairwells all day too just to be inside that building!) Back to weddings...clearly I have recovered from the trauma of planning my own wedding because I am loving every second of this! Two Minnesota weddings to help with; I don't think I could be happier! It's just like 7 Brides for 7 Brothers...only it's 2 brides and the grooms aren't related. So, nothing like it at all.

During this season of wretching and rejoicing (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist) I've become acutely aware of the Tim Tebow "phenomenon." I'm not sure what else to call it. I gotta say, I'm worried for the guy. Has no one else read a Greek tragedy? May God's grace protect him from the world, the flesh and devil!

So, how 'bout them Republican candidates? I have no idea when the Minnesotans get their turn at voting...I'm assuming we do at some point, yes? Mark is straddling the fence between the Gingrich and Santorum camps (not that he can vote, but he still has opinions). I naturally lean towards Santorum - knowing next to nothing about him except that he strikes me as a good husband and father. But I have to say, I'm always impressed by Gingrich's vocal presence, and how can I not like his defense of Christianity/Catholicism? Sorry Ron Paul fans, I've always thought the guy is too creepy to look at or listen to, so needless to say, I don't know much about him other than that he leans Libertarian - and I don't. Shallow? Of course, but I think there are better candidates, so I'm not losing sleep over it.

I hope your 2012 is kicking off nicely and that you're not spending it like the rest of the country (see first paragraph).

No comments: